The PRX Podcast Garage is a community recording studio and educational hub dedicated to the craft of audio storytelling.
Our facilities feature a four-person studio with state-of-the-art recording and mixing equipment and a classroom space for audio producers in the New England area. We host events that invite members of the community to learn about the art and business of podcasting, gain technical skills, and network with one another.
The Podcast Garage is a program of Zone 3, a Harvard-sparked initiative to explore experimental programs, events, and retail along Western Ave.
267 Western Ave (Rear)
Allston, MA 02134
Events at the Garage
Join us at the Garage for talks, workshops, listening events and more! Learn the business and art of podcast production and network with like-minded creatives. Events are free and open to the public, unless otherwise specified.
Want to see a speaker or topic on this calendar? Send us a note!
Reserve studio Time
Need to record vocal tracks, interviews, or Skype and phone calls? At the Podcast Garage, we have everything you need to produce high-quality audio projects. Walk in with an idea, walk out with a digital file! The setup is DIY, but our staff is happy to show you the basics to get you rolling. For more complex projects, we recommend booking an engineer, and can provide a list of professional freelancers by request.
Please review the Studio FAQ before your first visit and arrive 10 minutes early for an orientation.
Become A Member
We aren’t just fans of podcasts here at the Garage. We root for the people behind them.
Making a podcast takes a lot of work and a mountain of faith and commitment to keep it going episode after episode. Most of the time you’re doing it on your own. And with so many media companies and networks now making their own shows, we know independent producers are struggling to find an audience for their stories and make a living.
That’s why we’re excited to present a low-cost monthly membership that provides the time, tools, and community needed to make a show, accessible in the ways that make sense to you.
All of our members are independent producers working on an audio or podcasting project. If that’s you, read on! (Not sure if it’s you? Check out our FAQ below.)
$35/month $25/month – launch special!
Begins March 1, 2017
Are you ready to start a podcast or strengthen your show?
As a Tune-Up member, you’ll immediately get all of the following:
- A 25% discount every time you use the studio. So, one hour is $45 instead of $60. And 30 minutes is $22.50 instead of $30. The more you record, the more you save.
- An 8GB Podcast Garage USB drive. Never forget your files again!
- An invitation to work on your audio in our community space. Think of us like a clubhouse. Come in to edit, email, and meet other members during our open hours.
- Your photo and the name of your show posted on our website and the wall of our studio.
- Access to discounts from our audio and podcasting friends, like an oh-so-useful AIR membership, starting in March 2017.
You’ll also have access to other resources at the Garage. Pay for the benefits you like and skip the ones you’ll never use. These options include:
- Rent a professional audio field kit for interviews and recordings outside of the studio. Starts at $15 for a half day and $25 for a full day rental.
- Reserve our Community Space for your own audio events and meetings. Do you want to host a discussion group about Comedy Podcasts or invite friends to a live recording of your show? Starts at $35/hour.
- Valuable feedback and advice on your show from our community, including members, PRX staff, and independent producers. We’ll host free group feedback sessions for members and, starting in April 2017, we’ll also offer individualized coaching sessions on everything from storytelling to editing and marketing.
There’s no commitment once you sign up - you can become a Tune-Up Member for one month or six! It’s up to you. All memberships begin on the first day of each month and expire on the last day of the month.
$200/month $150/month – launch special!
Begins March 1, 2017
If you nodded along to every one of the benefits above, you might be an Accelerator Member.
Skip the extra paperwork and payments and enjoy the freedom to focus on making your show. That means you can rent our studio for $45/hour, plus get all of the benefits listed above for free, with no extra costs as you go.
Plus, we’ll throw in:
- A ceramic Podcast Garage mug. Caffeinate in style.
- Discounts on tickets to our trainings and talks, including the Five Things series and any of our workshops that include a fee.
Our Accelerator Members must sign on for a minimum of three months in order to get the full benefits of the space. All memberships begin on the first day of the month.
The first step in the process of becoming a Tune-Up or Accelerator Member is to fill out our application form. At the end of the form, you’ll see a link to schedule a 30-minute New Member Tour of the Podcast Garage. Even if you have been in our space before, we require that you come in for a New Member Tour. You only have to take this tour once. If you choose to renew, you can do so automatically.
At the end of the tour, we’ll set up payment and the start date of your membership.
We’ll be hosting a Q + A at 8pm on February 7th following our Maker Mingle. Stop by to listen or ask questions about the membership.
We have a small staff so please read through our Membership FAQ (below) as well as our Audio Field Kit FAQ and Community Space FAQ before reaching out. If you still have questions, feel free to contact us and we’ll get back to you as quickly as we can.
How do I know if I qualify for the membership?
Our memberships are designed for independent audio producers. We define independent producers in the following ways:
- A producer who isn’t making a living off of their show, ie. not receiving a regular paycheck to produce their work
- A producer who owns their own show and/or audio projects
- A producer who freelances for stations/podcasts/programs but isn’t fully employed by them
If one or more of those statements applies to you, then you are welcome to apply for our membership.
If you’re not sure if you fit the criteria, or want to learn more about an institutional or business membership at the Garage, please send us an email at email@example.com.
When will my membership start?
Both memberships will begin on March 1, 2017. To get on board before then, you can fill out our application form and set up a New Member Tour.
How long is my membership?
The Tune-Up Membership begins on the first day of each month and expires on the last day of the month. There's no commitment once you sign up. If you’d like to sign up for multiple months, we can set up recurring monthly payments for you through Square. The Accelerator Membership has a 3 month minimum when you sign up. You can pay all three months at the start of the membership or set up monthly payments through Square.
What kind of payment do you accept?
We accept all major credit cards. We cannot accept checks or cash as payment.
What happens during the New Member Tour?
The tour will orient you to our space, your benefits as a member, and the policies of the Garage. We will also ask you about your audio project or podcast and your goals for the membership. Finally, it’s a time for you to ask us any of your burning questions about PRX and the Garage. Each tour lasts approximately 30 minutes. Please arrive on time! We have plenty of free parking in front of the building.
PRX podcast Garage
267 Western Avenue, Rear
Allston, MA 02134
Want to learn more about our membership, pitch an idea for an event, or give us good old-fashioned feedback? Drop us a line!