Become A Member
We aren’t just fans of podcasts here at the Garage. We root for the people behind them.
Making a podcast takes a lot of work and a mountain of faith and commitment to keep it going episode after episode. Most of the time you’re doing it on your own. And with so many media companies and networks now making their own shows, we know independent producers are struggling to find an audience for their stories and make a living.
That’s why we’re excited to present a low-cost monthly membership that provides the time, tools, and community needed to make a show, accessible in the ways that make sense to you.
All of our members are independent producers working on an audio or podcasting project. If that’s you, read on!
$35 a month
Are you ready to start a podcast or strengthen your show?
As a Tune-Up member, you’ll immediately get all of the following:
- A 25% discount every time you use the studio. So, one hour is $45 instead of $60. And 30 minutes is $22.50 instead of $30. The more you record, the more you save.
- An invitation to work on your audio in our community space. Think of us like a clubhouse. Come in to edit, email, and meet other members during our open hours.
- Your photo and the name of your show posted on our website and the wall of our studio.
- Access to discounts from our audio and podcasting friends, like an oh-so-useful AIR membership.
You’ll also have access to other resources at the Garage. Pay for the benefits you like and skip the ones you’ll never use. These options include:
- Rent a professional audio field kit for interviews and recordings outside of the studio.
- Reserve our Community Space for your own audio events, like a podcast launch or a live recording of your show.
- Valuable feedback and advice on your show from our community, including PRX staff. We currently host a free feedback session for members on the last Wednesday evening of each month.
There’s no commitment once you sign up - you can become a Tune-Up Member for one month or six! It’s up to you. All memberships begin on the first day of each month and expire on the last day of the month.
The first step in the process of becoming a Tune-Up Member is to [fill out our application form]. At the end of the form, you’ll see a link to schedule a 30-minute New Member Tour of the Podcast Garage. Even if you have been in our space before, we require that you come in for a New Member Tour. You only have to take this tour once. If you choose to renew, you can do so automatically.
At the end of the tour, we’ll set up payment and the start date of your membership.
We have a small staff so please read through our Membership FAQ (below) before reaching out. If you still have questions, feel free to reach out and we’ll get back to you as quickly as we can.
How do I know if I qualify for the membership?
Our memberships are designed for independent audio producers. We define independent producers in the following ways:
- A producer who isn’t making a living off of their show, ie. not receiving a regular paycheck to produce their work
- A producer who owns their own show and/or audio projects
- A producer who freelances for stations/podcasts/programs but isn’t fully employed by them
If one or more of those statements applies to you, then you are welcome to apply for our membership.
If you’re not sure if you fit the criteria, please send us an email at email@example.com.
How long is my membership?
The Tune-Up Membership begins on the first day of each month and expires on the last day of the month. There's no commitment once you sign up. We can set up recurring monthly payments for you.
What kind of payment do you accept?
We accept all major credit cards. We cannot accept checks or cash as payment.
What happens during the New Member Tour?
The tour will orient you to our space, your benefits as a member, and the policies of the Garage. We will also ask you about your audio project or podcast and your goals for the membership. Finally, it’s a time for you to ask us any of your burning questions about PRX and the Garage. Each tour lasts approximately 30 minutes. Please arrive on time! We have plenty of free parking in front of the building.