What equipment is included in the field kit?
Each kit contains all the gear someone would need for standard field reporting or recording:
- Zoom H5 portable recorder (with XYH-5 X/Y microphone capsule and wind screen)
- RØDE NTG4+ directional condenser microphone with inbuilt battery
- RØDE WS6 deluxe windshield
- Shure SM58 handheld vocal microphone (with wind screen)
- Sony MDR-7506 dynamic stereo headphones
- Two 6' XLR cables
- Two 32 GB SD cards
- Rechargeable AA batteries (with charger)
- Alkaline AA batteries
- Mini and Micro USB cables (for charging and data transfer)
- Should bag to hold all of the above
Do I have to be a member to rent the field kit?
No! Anyone is welcome to use it.
What if I'm new to using this equipment or field recording?
We will give you a quick tutorial on how to use the equipment in the kit when you pick up your rental.
If you're looking for additional information to help with using the field kit, the following resources may be valuable:
How to Mic a Field Interview: http://airmedia.org/how-mic-field-interview/
Zoom H5: http://transom.org/2015/zoom-h5/
Recording Live Events: http://transom.org/2016/recording-live-events/
The ear training guide for audio producers: http://training.npr.org/audio/the-ear-training-guide-for-audio-producers/
How long can I have the field kit?
You can reserve the audio field kit for a full day, Monday through Friday, or an entire weekend. A full day is 24 hours and a weekend is Friday to Monday. You must pick up and return the kit during our open business hours.
How much does it cost to reserve the kit?
Tune-Up Members pay $20 for a full day and $40 for the weekend.
Non-members pay $40 for a full day and $60 for the weekend.
We take payment (credit cards only) when you pick up the kit.
How do I reserve the kit?
Call us at (617) 208-8911 to reserve the kit at least 48 hours in advance. Please keep in mind that we have a small staff - if you leave us a voicemail, we’ll get back to you as quickly as possible. We are not open on the weekends.